Is your home or business electrically safe and energy efficient?
PSE&G and the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) are teaming up during National Electrical Safety Month to increase awareness about the dangers of electricity and how to prepare your home or business for safe and efficient energy use.
Simple precautions such as not overloading electrical outlets, checking cords for visible damage, properly installing and maintaining appliances and using energy-efficient power strips can help customers avoid potentially dangerous situations.
Whether you are a property owner or a renter, electrical safety should be a top priority. Awareness of electrical hazards is the key to reducing the staggering number of electrically-related home fires, injuries and deaths that occur every year.
- According to ESFI, roughly 3,300 home fires originate in extension cords and power strips each year, resulting in death and injuries.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission, using estimates from 2006 through 2008, says that major appliances caused more than 150,000 residential fires each year. Some older model appliances can become hazards if they are improperly installed or maintained. The most common appliance dangers are fire, electric shock and gas emissions.
It is important to make sure your home or business is electrically safe, secure and efficient. Keep these important tips in mind to protect your home and workplace and help you use energy more efficiently.
Learn about Electrical Safety Devices
- AFCI breakers and outlets protect against arc-faults which could lead to fires.
- Grounded outlets protect against electric shocks.
- GFCI outlets and breakers are required where water and electricity may come into contact and protect against ground faults.
Prepare for Safe and Efficient Energy Use
- Surge protective devices
- Advanced power strips protect electronic equipment against dangerous and costly power surges and they prevent unnecessary power drain by plugged in devices that are not in use, eliminating phantom and standby power losses without having to unplug equipment.
- Save money with PSE&G Marketplace instant rebates: You may be eligible to purchase a power strip for as little as $1 or up to $25 instant rebate on an advanced power strip.*
- LED lightbulbs
- Stay cool to the touch and pose less of a fire and burn hazard than heat-generating lights like incandescent.
- Save energy: LEDs use up to 90% less energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Save money with PSE&G Marketplace instant rebates: Upgrade just five of your most-used bulbs with LED lighting and save up to $45 per year. You may be eligible to purchase LED lightbulbs for as little as $0.13 each or save up to $15 off the purchase of an energy savings kit.*
- Smart thermostats
- Save energy: Control your home’s heating and cooling from anywhere.
- Save energy and money with PSE&G Marketplace instant rebates: You may be eligible to purchase a smart thermostat for as low as $29 or receive up to $100 instant rebate on the purchase of a smart thermostat.*
- ENERGY STAR® certified appliances
- Save money with Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® rebates and you could qualify for rebates up to $5,000† and you may be eligible for up to $15,000 in interest-free on-bill repayment to help you pay for your upgrades.
Resources to Read and Share
Stay safe at home: The ESFI understands electricity has become such a necessary part of our lives that we tend to take it for granted, but using it safely is vitally important.
Stay safe near power lines and electric utility equipment: Do electric lines automatically shut off when they break during storms? If a power line falls on your car, are you safe because your car has rubber tires? Unfortunately, misinformation about electrical safety is rampant, and can be dangerous. We’d like to give you the straight scoop on electrical and power line safety. You can find more information and test your knowledge about electrical hazards here: pseg.com/safety.
* PSE&G customers can visit PSE&G Marketplace, our online store that offers energy-efficient products with instant rebates at the point of sale. Terms and conditions apply.
† Up to $5,000 in rebates and energy savings depends on make and model of equipment selected and installed. Any savings are estimated and results may vary. PSE&G does not guarantee the amount of energy or money you may save by implementing the recommended changes.
Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability in the Mid-Atlantic region. In 2021, PSE&G was named the most trusted combined gas & electric utility in the East Region, by the Cogent Syndicated Brand Trust Index. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 14 consecutive years (www.pseg.com).