Bergen County Breaks Ground on New Technical School

On April 18, Bergen County and the Bergen County Technical Schools District broke ground on a brand-new facility. The Career and Technical Education (CTE) School will be on their Paramus campus and include new innovative programs. The school system hopes that the new school will help students easily transition from High School into their postsecondary plans. 

The groundbreaking ceremony marked the beginning of construction with the new school set to open in 2025. The ceremony was attended by state, county and school officials including Bergen County Technical School District Superintendent, Dr. Howard Lerner, Assemblywoman Lisa Swain, Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco and members of the Bergen County Board of Commissioners. 

“This new school will be a milestone project for our Technical School District and the County of Bergen,” said Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco. “As we look to the future of what education can and should be, it is critical to anticipate the needs not just in education, but in the workforce. This new career technical education school supports alternative paths and builds a more inclusive education system that has something for every single student, all while helping ensure Bergen County remains competitive in the 21st-century global economy.” 

The new school will be home to about 260 students with an aim to help students continue their education through apprenticeships or college. The CTE school will educate new students through academics and technical skills needed for specific occupations. Programs for the new school were targeted to address high demand and competitive fields in the modern workforce. The programs at the new school will include Fabrication and Design, Logistics, and Dental Science. 

“The Board of Education and school administration are grateful to all the county officials for supporting the addition of three new programs, which will allow BCTS to meet the increased demand for CTE programs by county residents,” said Dr. Howard Lerner, Superintendent of the Bergen County Technical School District. 

The school is being funded through the 2021 New Jersey Department of Education Securing our Children’s Future Grant. The school will receive 75% of its funding through the grant which equates to $25,875,000 while Bergen County will contribute the remaining 25% or $8,625,000. 

“The Career and Technical Education School will provide students with diverse technical tools and career paths – all essential to unlocking our future workforce’s full potential while meeting the labor needs of New Jersey’s evolving industries. The nearly $26M grant from the state is a testament to the profound importance of this project,” said Assemblywoman Lisa Swain. “By continuing to invest in vocational education, New Jersey is investing in the success of our students. As a legislator and longtime Bergen County resident, I’m confident this new CTE school will soon become a cornerstone of the Bergen County community and a vital educational resource for future generations.” 

Commissioner Chairman Tom Sullivan added, “The Career and Technical Education School will provide hands-on training and experience for those coming out of high school seeking opportunities to make a good living. These cutting-edge programs can make the world of a difference to our students in Bergen County, thanks to our forward-thinking administrators and educators.” 

Tyler Iglesias is a production assistant and writer for Meadowlands Media. He is currently studying Journalism and Mass Communication at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.