Deadline to apply for rental assistance is now August 31
Bergen County tenants and property owners can submit applications at BergenCountyCARES.org
Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco and the Board of County Commissioners announce that the application portal for the County of Bergen Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) has reopened and will accept new applications now through August 31. The program covers up to 12 months of rental assistance for unpaid back rent, gas, and electric utility expenses (payable for amounts past due as of March 2020), with payments going directly to property owners and utility providers.
The application process is tenant driven, but requires landlord/property manager verification for funding to be released. Tenants must first apply for rental relief online at www.BergenCountyCARES.org or by setting up an in-person appointment with Greater Bergen Community Action by calling 201-464-8970. After Tenant submission, Landlords/Property Owners will then receive an email notification to submit necessary verifying documentation through the same online application portal at www.BergenCountyCares.org.
To qualify for the Bergen County Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program funding, tenants must meet the following criteria:
- Bergen County resident primarily responsible for paying rent;
- Make less than 80% of the average median income of Bergen County (e.g., less than $78,500 for a family of four);
- Experienced a loss of income since March 13, 2020 related to the Covid-19 pandemic;
- Once submitted, applicants will be notified of the funding decision and, if approved, the funds will be provided to the Landlord or Utility Provider on their behalf.
Immigration status does not affect eligibility and language translation services are available. For more information, residents can visit www.BergenCountyCARES.org. Please contact the ERAP Call Center at 855-203-6952 or Greater Bergen Community Action at 201-464-8970 if you need assistance with applying.
Property owners will be required to provide the following documents once they receive notification of a tenant application:
- Contact information
- Payment information
- Verify Tenant’s owed rent amounts and residency by filling out an ERAP Rental Ledger Form.