The competition heats up at the Meadowlands Racetrack on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the annual Chili and Salsa Cook-off.
There is a $1,000 grand prize in each category and additional prizes awarded to runners up. Prize money will be given to the people’s choice and the best booth.
Categories and prizes include:
Homestyle: $500 – 2nd; $250 – 3rd
Chili Verde: $500 – 2nd; $250 – 3rd
Salsa: $250 – 2nd; $100 – 3rd
Best Booth: $250; People’s Choice: $250.
People’s Choice Awards
Voting for people’s choice will begin at 8 p.m. Racetrack guests can sample the chili and vote for their favorite. The fan favorite cook will walk away with a $250 prize.
For complete chili event details visit https://playmeadowlands.com/event/meadowlands-fall-chili-cook-off/.
Looking to compete? Register: https://chilicookoff.com/cookoffs/list
- Cooks can arrive anytime after 1 p.m. to start setting up.
- The event takes place in our food court & outdoor East Apron. We have a side entrance (on the left side of the building near the loading dock) that allows you easy access into the food court entrance for quicker set up.
- Mandatory meeting at 3 pm in the food court for all Chili cooks – you must be present!
- Meat may be pre-cut or ground but MAY NOT be pre-cooked, treated, seasoned or marinated in any manner.
- All other ingredients must be prepared/chopped on-site from during allotted cooking time. Cooking time is 3 total hours per style. Homestyle: 4-7pm; Verde 5-8pm
- Garnishes must not be used on what is turned into the Judges.
- Please remember to bring all your cooking equipment. If you are using a propane camper’s stove you need to bring a class K extinguisher.
- We do have sinks, garbage cans for everyone to use. Please treat these items as if they were in your own home.
- You are welcome to bring an additional table or two for you to use. We do have electric, please bring extension cords if you need access to electric.
- You must prepare 32oz of chili to be submitted for ICS judging.
- Turn in times: 6pm Salsa; 7pm Homestyle; 8pm Verde
- Entrant must be 18 years or older
- Contact Raryan@playmeadowlands.com with any questions.
- People’s choice voting begins at 8 pm following official judging – small tasting samples given, 1 sample of each chili – one vote per person.