Kicking up excitement between the Hambletonian Harness Horse Race (Saturday, Aug. 5) and MetLife’s Bruce Springsteen concerts (Aug. 30, Sept. 1, Sept. 3), is the New Jersey Meadowlands region’s breakout sporting event — the Meadowlands Cup (Monday, Aug. 14).
Hosted by the Meadowlands 2040 Foundation, an affiliate of the Meadowlands Chamber, and presented by Hackensack Meridian Health, The Meadowlands Cup brings a competitive edge to a day of corporate golf. Now in its third year, the event is for golfers with a GHIN handicap. It is a friendly, but competitive tournament that doesn’t allow second chances on missed putts or “gimmies.”
“Utilizing official handicaps levels the playing field and allows this to be a true competitive corporate challenge,” said MC President and CEO Jim Kirkos.
“Anyone playing in the Meadowlands Cup tournament is someone who regularly plays, who wants to compete — and wants to get their name permanently etched on the 4-foot trophy,” Kirkos added.
Openings Available for 2-Person Teams
A few more good teams are still needed to fill out the day’s play, which is set for Monday, Aug. 14 at the Glen Ridge Country Club. Each team is two people, only one of which has to work for the company entering. Neither has to be a member of the Meadowlands Chamber.
The new format this year is a shotgun start, a change implemented due to participants’ feedback to allow for all players and guests to attend the Trophy Presentation and Reception together at 5:30 p.m.
Signups Are Happening Now For The Meadowlands Cup on Monday, Aug. 14
- The Shotgun Start is at 12:30 p.m. Brunch begins at 10:30 a.m. Cocktails and cigars take place at the fire pit at 5 p.m.; the buffet dinner reception follows. Open bar is 5-7 p.m.
- Two-person teams can be all-male, all-female or coed (men will play from the blue tees, women from the white tees)
- One person on the team must directly work at the company they are representing; the second player can be a vendor or associate.
- Companies do not need to be Meadowlands Chamber members to compete or sponsor.
What the Winning Team Receives
- The name of the winning team will be permanently engraved on the famed Meadowlands Cup displayed at the MCHQ Visitors Center, 1099 Wall St. West, Lyndhurst.
- One year of significant sponsorship signage in the MCHQ ($5,000 value)
- A full-page feature in Meadowlands Magazine ($2,000 value)
- A full year of bragging rights!
Past Winners of the Meadowlands Cup
The NY Jets won the inaugural Meadowlands Cup in 2021, with NY Jets VP of Community Relations Jesse Linder predicting last year that his team would do it again.
The Jets were beaten by Forsgate Industrial Partners, with gameplay by Director Jake Sutker and Alex Rosenberg.
The Meadowlands Cup will soon take its place among the other major competitive sporting events hosted in the Meadowlands!
Signup for the Meadowlands Cup